Saturday, August 23, 2014

We have arrived at Hospital...

*isn't this delivery gown adorable?  It was a gift to me from my dear friend Christy Grailer.  I felt so pretty in this!  All the nurses loved it!  The hilarious anesthesiologist said it was a hot mess.  Ha! 





We got to the hospital around 8:30.  They confirmed that my water definitely had broken.  I think I was still in shock and just so dang excited that I actually went into labor on my own.  It was everything I wanted!  They couldn't believe that I wasn't in a lot of pain.  I think I must have a high tolerance for pain.  After we got settled they told me that I could go walk around if I wanted.  I really wanted to get out of the bed and check out what was going on.  Mind you with my other 3 pregnancies I was never allowed to walk around due to the IV with Pitocin.  So once we started walking the contractions started to pick up.  They were about every 3 to 5 minutes a part.  I wasn't able to walk around as much as I thought I was.  We got back to the room and I was in a good bit of pain by then.  The nurse asked me if I was ready for my epidural and I said yes.  She then came back in room and told me that it was going to be a little while for the anesthesiologist to get to me.  She said that she could give me some pain medicine through my IV to hold me over until the doctor got there.  Of course I took her up on her offer.  She said that it would hit immediately and I would feel as though I had several margaritas.  Boy was she right.  I felt pretty dang good.  In no time the anesthesiologist was there quicker than the nurse thought.  He walked in and I was in La La land.  I felt like I was in twilight zone.  Ha.  So he was super friendly and asked a lot of questions about our family and was so excited that we did not know what we were having.  As everyone else was too.  Every nurse that was there that night was just so excited that we didn't know the sex.  So he started prepping me for the epidural and I was leaned over bed holding Eric's hands, as I always have done in the past.  Next thing I know, Eric is out cold on the floor.  He had passed out.  Mind you I am drunk and couldn't figure out what in the hell was going on.  The nurse was calling for back up, checking his blood pressure, and I was laughing ( I know that was bad of me).  He came to and was a little confused at first.  It took him no time to get his self together.  The nurses wanted to send him to the ER because as he went down he hit his head pretty good on the floor.  He convinced them that he was fine as I did too.  He was not going to miss the birth of this baby!  So they made him lay on the couch with ice on his head.  He was white as a ghost.  They made him lay there until he got his color back.  I was still in twilight zone and couldn't believe that that just happened.  Once we both realized he was fine neither one of us could stop laughing!  He said that he always hates the epidural part the most.  He can handle all the other but that.  He said that I was squeezing his hand and he started to feel light headed then that was it.  He has done this 3 other times and was fine.  It just really got to him this time.  The best part was him passing out totally took my mind off of the epidural going in.  So in the end it was a good thing if you ask me!  Ha!  We all were settled in and I was feeling great and not feeling a thing!  Soon after the nurse comes in and starts prepping the table for the delivery.  I asked her why she was doing this so early.  She said, "honey, your contractions are right on top of each other".  I think you are going to have this baby soon.  I was thinking I was going to be able to catch a good night sleep and wake up and have the baby.  I was wrong.  She checked me and I had went from a 5 to a 10 in 30 minutes.  Oh, my nurse was suppose to be off the clock at 12 am but she clocked out and stayed for the rest of the delivery because she was dying to know what I was having.  Super sweet nurse.  We just loved her!  She called the doctor and he was on his way.  He came in half a sleep Ha!  He got dressed and was ready for me to start pushing.  Game on...I pushed for 8 minutes and then.....

 

1 comment:

Mary Lytle said...

Wow! You must have been in Barbara Dobson's class. You certainly do know how to write a cliffhanger!!! I can't wait to hear the end of this story. On the other hand, I guess it's just the beginning...