Tuesday, July 27, 2010

House projects

While the boys were gone to their grandparents, Eric and I did some major house projects.  This is one project that we wanted to get done for quite some time now.  We finished painting the downstairs foyer, and up the stair case.  My husband did it without complaining one bit!  It looks awesome now!  In some of the following pictures you can see the paint color better!


This is a Before Picture

This is an after picture.  We put our tv over our mantle to free up this wall above.  We were desperate for more seating place in our den.  We are thrilled with the outcome.  The mirror below was above my mantle (which I purchased a couple of years ago from a yard sale).  The two flower arrangements were in my dining room before.  The couch was recently purchased with a love seat to match.  I ran across these at a furniture consignment sale and fell in love.  I was looking for 2 chairs but instead stumbled across these beauties.  I got a deal and a half on these 2 couches, 500 dollars for both.  They are hunting house couches.  We love, love them.  I am a sucker for a bargain!  We now have the entertainment center and our old nasty couch posted on craigslist, hopefully it will sell soon!

The After Picture

As you can see I moved these two portraits into my foyer.  I love how they look here!  This foyer table is not really a foyer table.  It was a computer desk that Eric and I purchased for 30 dollars 3 years ago off of Craigslist.  We ended up buying  new desk at the Goodwill.  I turned the desk around, so you couldn't see the keyboard drawer and it makes a beautiful foyer table if I do say so myself.  The chest underneath is my granddaddy's old tool box.  

This is my most favorite thing in my house...My Photo wall!  I have been wanting to do this for some time now.  I ended up making my breakfast room a sitting room with some wicker furniture that I purchased off of Craigslist.  I made my dining room our informal eating space.  I figured that we wouldn't need a "fancy" dining room until my kids brought their kids home for the holidays (we have plenty of time for that).  I have been wanting to do a photo wall for a long time now.  I wasn't sure what would be the best place.  It finally clicked that this wall was the perfect wall.  You can see this wall from my den which I love just sitting down looking at it.  It just brings smile after smile to my face.  I eventually am going to add onto it with new pictures and of course, picture of little Foster.  Most of these frames were purchased at Kroger about 6 years ago for like 2 to 5 dollars.  I bought some at Michaels for 2 dollars and spray painted black.  Some of the frames were white and I just spray painted.  This was a cheap, cheap project that fills up an entire wall!  

Here is a view from my den.  The rocking chair in the background is a find I got at an yard sale for 30 dollars. We are getting ready to stain it, and mama is going to make me a cushion to put in the den so I can rock sweet little Foster.

Foster's Room
We painted this room, hung these curtains and moved the pictures that are above the crib from the playroom. The only thing I bought for his room was the valance that matched the bedding.  I already had these blue panels that I got at a consignment sale years ago for the playroom.  I had the bedding with Henry and they still sale it at Land of Nod.  I ordered the valance, and it looks amazing with the blue panels.  I am still going to hang a couple of things.  A belly picture which I hope to get taken in the next couple of weeks.  Once I finalize the room I will post more pictures.  


As you can tell I love a bargain.  There isn't much in my house that I didn't get from a yard sale, consignment sale, or craigslist.  I rarely buy anything new for my house.  I love finding treasures.  The week the boys were gone we got a lot of things marked off the to do list before Foster arrives.  There is just a couple more things, most importantly clean out the garage,  and stain the rocking chair.  We are so excited about little Foster joining us in about 6 weeks!  I needed a vaca from this week that we did all of these projects.  It feels so good to have all of this behind us so now we can just enjoy and piddle with mini projects!  

3 comments:

Varner Party of 3 said...

I love the changes you made - even though I never saw what it was like before. You're a great decorator!

-Kristi Varner

Jackie said...

Great job! You are talented....must of got that from your momma.

The Pangles said...

Thank you Kristi and Jackie! You are too sweet! I love to rearrange and find bargains for my house! It is so fun!!!